Have you decided to visit Grand Teton National Park in Jackson Hole, Wyoming? If so, read on! We will share with you our experience visiting the park in an epic road trip, our full 5 day itinerary and things to do with lots of pictures and videos so you know what to expect! We will also include our list of top things to do in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Grand Teton in case you only have 3 days, or maybe even just 1 day to spend visiting Grand Teton National Park.
Here are the topics we will cover in this post and other related posts. Click on any link to skip to the relevant section.
What is Grand Teton National Park Famous for?
“Of all the places in the rocky mountains that I know, it is the most beautiful, and, as it lies too high for man to build and prosper in, its trees and waters should be kept from man’s irresponsible destruction” – Owen Winster, 1876
Grand Teton Area Map
- Moose Junction is the closest intersection from Jackson, where you can detour to Phelps Lake, Mormon Row & Shadow Mountain. This will be the first intersection you hit when entering the park from Jackson.
- South Jenny Lake Junction is where you can catch the boat shuttle to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Falls & Cascade Canyon. Probably the most popular area in the entire park.
- North Jenny Lake Junction is where you can take a hike to Paintbrush Canyon and visit String Lake & Leigh Lake. It is also where Jenny Lake Lodge is located.
- Jackson Lake Junction leads to Jackson Lake on one end and Colter Bay on the other. You can also exit the park and head to Yellowstone National Park from here.
- Moran Junction that takes you out of the park on the east side. No major attractions on this side, other than the RV park that we stayed at.
Where to Stay in Grand Teton National Park?
HotelsWhen visiting Grand Teton National Park, the town of Jackson, Wyoming is THE PLACE to stay. It is only 5 miles from the south entrance to the park and has plenty of hotels, shops, restaurants, and touristy things to do. Make sure you book your trip months in advance though as the hotel rooms can get booked fast all year round. There aren’t very many options other than Jackson that are convenient to access the park. If you’d like to stay inside the park, Jenny Lake Lodge is right by the Jenny Lake and is a very popular option. You can also stay at Signal Mountain Lodge, or Jackson Lake Lodge, both of which offer lakeside accommodations.
Camping & RVIf you’re doing the trip in an RV like we did, you may want to check out Fireside Buffalo Valley RV Park which is just outside the north entrance of the park past Moran junction. The RV park itself was ok (we’ve been to better ones) but we chose it because its only 4 miles to the north entrance. Other campsites within the park are Jenny Lake Campground and Signal Mountain Campground
How many days to spend in Grand Teton?
DAY 1: GETTING TO KNOW THE PARK
SCENIC DRIVE AROUND PARK
Phelps Lake Trail
DAY 2: LAKESIDE PICNIC AND A HIKE TO WATERFALLS
Hidden Falls & Inspiration Point
DAY 3: A CANYON HIKE AND A SPECTACULAR SUNSET
String Lake & Paintbrush Canyon
DAY 4: A TOURIST TOWN AND THE WORLDS MOST BEAUTIFUL BARN
DAY 5: PIT STOP AT A BAY ON THE WAY TO YELLOWSTONE
FEELING A BIT MORE ADVENTUROUS?
Seasonal Ranger Programs
TOP 5 THINGS TO DO IN GRAND TETON
If you are short on time, and are looking for the absolute best things to do in Grand Teton in short amount of time, here are our favorite top 5 things to do based on our own experience
- Teton Park Road Scenic Drive: You can’t not do this. Its the best way to see all the viewpoints in the park and get some great shots in a convenient 2-3 hour drive.
- Jenny Lake: A very popular lake with views of the Tetons and a chance to get your feet wet!
- Hidden Falls & Inspiration Point: Combine a visit to Jenny Lake with a short boat ride across the lake that takes you to the trailhead of Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. Both trails combined are only about 2.5 miles.
- String Lake: A much less crowded lake with beautiful mirror reflection of the Tetons
- Paintbrush Canyon: One of the most secluded canyon hikes. If you can only do one canyon hike (out of Cascade Canyon, Death Canyon and Paintbrush Canyon), do this one!